The E-Rate Program is a national program offered by the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC), which administers the Universal Service Fund on behalf of the FCC (Federal Communications Commission). As an independent not-for-profit under the guidance of the FCC, USAC's mission is to bring the high-speed Internet (broadband) to areas of the country underserved by existing utilities. The Schools and Libraries (E-Rate) Program helps schools and libraries connect to broadband Internet and voice services at discounted rates.
Link to Free and Reduced Lunch numbers: http://www.azed.gov/hns/frp/
Funding Year 2022—It's Time to Get Started
With the new changes and updates to the E-rate program, we highly recommend that Arizona schools and districts begin preparing for the Funding Year 2021 application now.
Applying for E-Rate
USAC's Schools and Libraries Program "Before You Begin" webpage provides thorough documentation of the application process. To start, you might want to check out their application process flowchart.
E-Rate Application Process Flow Chart
An E-Rate Productivity Center (EPC) account is required to apply for the program. If you do not already have an account, contact Arizona's E-rate Coordinator, Milan Eaton.
- Category 1 and Category 2 services can be submitted on the same 470. You can also submit multiple 470s.
- Dates and spellings must be consistent across applications and the FRN. Many applications are rejected due to simple, easy to fix, errors. Double-check all applications and forms before filing.
- Multi-year contracts, up to 5 years, makes the application process more streamlined.
- New FCC Form 470 will be only online and is available now.
E-Rate Forms and Guides
- ALL applicants must file their FCC Form 471 online.
- Item 21 is embedded in the FCC Form 471 beginning 2015.
- Discounts are calculated for the organization as a whole.
- Rural status is determined at the district/system level and only if more than 50% of schools are rural.
- Do not request more than $170 per student over a 5 year term (it will save you PIA questions later)
- Include a full list of all Item 21 items (it will save questions later)
E-Rate Forms and Guides
On the day the FCDLs are mailed, you can check to see if you have a commitment by using USAC's Automated Search of Commitments tool.
2020 Arizona Contract Award Determination