Certification Updates November 2017

Published: November 22nd, 2017

Relevant Work Experience Verification

Legislation under Senate Bill 1042 allows applicants to qualify for a waiver of an AEPA/NES Subject Knowledge exam or a Subject Matter Expert Standard, 6-12 Certificate with demonstration of expertise in a subject through five years of relevant work experience. Board rule R7-2-606(U) defines relevant work experience as “work experience identified in the submission of a resume verified by a hiring superintendent or personnel director at the public school or the Department of Education which demonstrates knowledge or skill relevant to a subject area.” The attached Work Experience Sample Letter may be used as a guide when verifying that a candidate meets the requirement of five years of relevant work experience in a subject area. The verification letter should be on official district or charter school letterhead and signed by the superintendent or personnel director.

Emergency Teaching/Emergency Substitute Request Forms

The Emergency Teaching and Emergency Substitute Certificate Request forms have been revised to include updated Background Questions. Please use the revised forms for all new Emergency Teaching or Emergency Substitute applications instead of the previous versions.

New Application to Transfer to a Standard Certificate

The application process to transfer from a provisional teaching certificate to a standard teaching certificate has been streamlined so that all provisional certificate holders submit the same application and fee. Individuals who are certified with a provisional or reciprocal provisional certificate and have completed all allowable deficiency requirements should use the Application to Transfer a Provisional Certificate to a Standard Certificate. The application must include the required fee of $60 per certificate to be transferred and the required documentation to satisfy all allowable deficiency requirements.

Student Teaching Intern Certificate Update

Arizona Christian University, the University of Arizona South, and the University of Phoenix have had supervision plans for student teachers recently approved by the Board and may initiate the process for the Student Teaching Intern certificate. The appropriate designees from these institutions have been added to the Student Teaching Intern EPP Contact list. Please review the Student Teaching Intern Information document for further information on this certificate.

Please contact the Certification office at (602) 542-4367 or [email protected] if you have any questions or concerns.

Click here to view a PDF version.