All schools serving Grades 6-12 that would like to be considered for Alternative School status for the 2023-2024 school year must complete and submit the Alternative School Application. Schools operating a Dropout Recovery Program (DRP) must apply for Alternative School status. The application window is scheduled to open on February 14, 2023, and close on March 31, 2023. Achieve will send an email to Grader subscribers when the application is opened. The following information will be required in the application:
- The mission statement as of October 1, 2022, that clearly identifies its purpose is to serve a specific student population that will benefit from an alternative school setting
- Supporting documentation of the mission statement such as the school improvement plan, a student-parent handbook, marketing materials, etc.
- Quantitative data regarding the number of students who would meet required alternative student criterion (i.e., those who have a documented history of disruptive behavior issues, the number of students who have dropped out and are now returning, etc.)
- The total number of students enrolled as of October 1, 2022
- School information such as the entity ID, school address, and superintendent’s name
More information about Alternative Schools and requirements can be found on our Alternative Schools page. Please keep in mind that schools must apply each year to be considered for alternative school status even if they have been previously approved.