Strategies to Boost Parent Participation
#1 Offer use of a school computer or tablet when families are on campus for parent/teacher conferences, IEP meetings, school events, pick-up and drop-off times, parent group meetings and when you make home visits. Have translators or support staff available to assist parents.
#2 Follow-up phone calls, emails, and personal interactions to confirm parents received a login code are effective. Mention that the survey will take only a few minutes to complete and that their input is valued.
#3 Use email, social media, and message apps to promote the survey and send periodic reminders.
For assistance contact: Becky Raabe, [email protected], or (928) 637-1871.
Parent survey information and family engagement resources are posted on the survey website, www.azed.gov/specialeducation/parent-involvement-survey-admin.
Dear Special Education Directors,
All school districts and charter schools are required to annually administer the State Performance Plan Indicator 8: Parent Involvement Survey to parents of students with an Individualized Education Program (IEP).
Get Started Today! Log into ADEConnect and select ESS Data Surveys. If you don’t have access to the survey application or need to add additional users who should have the right to use this information and administer the survey, contact your entity ADEConnect administrator and ask to be assigned the ESS Parent Survey: User Role.
The ESS Parent Involvement Survey application displays links to
- Survey and Mail Merge Instructions for PEAs
- Survey Instructions for Parents
- Student lists and codes
- Reports: (1) track 2019 survey progress and (2) review 2018 question-by-question summaries for PEAs and school sites that received more than six completed surveys.
For more information visit www.azed.gov/specialeducation/parent-involvement-survey-admin.
Becky Raabe, Survey Coordinator
Good news: A progress report tool has been added to the ADEConnect ESS Parent Survey application! Click on the Report tab at the top of the page. The first page displays school district or charter holder response results, the second page lists school results, and the next pages display results by school, student name, and login code. Use this information to remind parents to complete the survey. Every answer counts!
- A minimum response rate isn’t required.
- The State Performance Plan/Annual Performance Report (SPP/APR) Indicator 8 measurement of parent of involvement is calculated from completed confidential surveys. The SY 2018 target, as set by ADE/ESS and special education stakeholder input, is 63%. Your Indicator 8 percentage used for risk analysis in monitoring decisions will be available this summer in the ADEConnect ESS Parent Survey application.
Updates and family engagement resources are posted on the survey website, www.azed.gov/specialeducation/parent-involvement-survey-admin.
Special Education Administrators,
The ESS Parent Involvement Survey (SPP/APR Indicator 8) has recently been enhanced and opened and ADE/ESS is excited about the improvements. In response to a number of questions about the revised survey, ESS is sending out the following updates:
- The ADEConnect Parent Survey application student lists were generated using October 1st special education counts and will not be updated before the survey closes on May 31, 2018. Parents of students who: enrolled or were determined eligible after that date; who withdrew; or who were determined no longer qualified do not complete the survey. Tying the survey to the October 1 special education census aligns the survey to other ADE/ESS fiscal and data timelines and allows for more rich and accurate analysis of the data at the SEA and PEA level.
- The State Performance Plan/Annual Performance Report (SPP/APR) Indicator 8 measurement of parent of involvement is calculated from completed confidential surveys. The SY 2018 target, as set by ADE/ESS and special education stakeholder input, is 63%. A question-by-question summary, and the Indicator 8 percentage used for risk analysis in monitoring decisions will be available this summer in the ADEConnect ESS Parent Survey application.
- A minimum response percentage is not required. A report to monitor survey progress is currently being developed and will be made available to survey application users as soon as it is finalized.
If you haven’t already done so, please contact your PEA’s entity ADEConnect administrator for access to the ESS Parent Survey application and complete instructions. Parent instructions include the confidentiality statement.
Parent survey information and family engagement resources are posted on the survey website, www.azed.gov/specialeducation/parent-involvement-survey-admin. Questions can also be directed to Becky Raabe, Parent Survey Coordinator at 928-637-1871.
All school districts and charter schools are required to annually administer the State Performance Plan Indicator 8: Parent Involvement Survey to parents of students with an Individualized Education Program (IEP). The survey measures the percentage of parents with a child receiving special education services who report that schools facilitated parent involvement as a means of improving services and results for children with disabilities. The survey will be open for parents February 7 through May 31, 2018 at https://ADEParentSurvey.azed.gov.
The documents schools use to administer the survey are in the ESS Parent Survey application accessed via ADE Connect. NOTE: For a user to obtain access to the application, the ESS Parent Survey: User role needs to be assigned by the school district or charter holder ADEConnect entity administrator.
Regularly visit the Parent Involvement Survey website FAQ section for school updates, www.azed.gov/specialeducation/parent-involvement-survey-admin. Parent resources are available at www.azed.gov/specialeducation/parents/parent-survey.
For more information contact Becky Raabe, Survey Coordinator, [email protected] or (928) 637-1871.
The 2018 school year parent survey will be open February through May 2018.
Arizona Department of Education’s Information Technology is designing a new parent survey application in ADEConnect, part of the Arizona Education Learning Accountability System that will improve public education agencies’ management of the survey process and also improve parental access to the survey. The changes will have a positive impact on the distribution of and participation in the survey and in the reporting of results.
Detailed instructions on how to administer the survey, notify and monitor participation of parents who have a child with an IEP, and track participation will be disseminated in January, if not sooner. In the meantime, encourage your staff to strengthen and maintain family engagement efforts that relate to the survey questions and focus on schools’ goals to build home/school partnerships.
Survey content will not change. As in the past, the survey will collect information about the child (i.e., race, ethnicity, age, grade, disability category) and list the questions for which the parent chooses either a level of agreement or the not applicable option. Questions from the survey are listed below.
Likert Scale Questions:
- I work together with the IEP team as an equal partner to develop my child’s IEP.
- I feel comfortable telling my ideas about how well special education services meet my child’s needs.
- The teacher(s) keep(s) in touch with me regularly about my child’s progress.
- My relationship with the school staff has a positive effect on my child’s education.
- Administrators are available to discuss my questions or concerns.
- My child’s school helps me play an active role in my child’s education.
- The school explains what choices I have if we disagree.
- Overall, I am satisfied with how my child’s school makes it easy for me to be involved.
- How does your child’s school encourage you to be involved?
Becky Raabe, Parent Survey Coordinator