The purpose of the FY 2013 October 1 Census is to provide a count of how many students received special education and related services on October 1, 2012. Failure to complete this data requirement by the due date may impact your district or charter’s PEA determination and interrupt federal funding.
Please note the following:
- The ESS Census Verification application may be found under the Common Logon.
- The verification letter should contain a non-SAIS count. This count should be derived from a different data source other than SAIS, such as your student management system (SMS), student rosters, or some other means under your control. Please take the time to provide an accurate count so reconciliation with SAIS data is possible in January 2013.
- Changes to the verification letter are not accepted after the due date of November 16, 2012. If you need to make changes to the verification letter previously submitted, please contact our office before November 16.
- The FY 2013 October 1 Census is completed by District of Residence (DOR). Please refer to the attached “Do’s and Don’ts” and “ASDB Student Reporting” documents for guidance.
- Preschoolers transitioning to kindergarten eligibility should be included if this transition covered the October 1 count date and services continued to be provided based on the expired preschool eligibility.
- The October 1 Census is completed by age, not by grade. The 3-5 age count is a part of the total 3-21 count, not in addition tothe total 3-21 count. Please refer to the following age ranges:
- Age range for 3-21 year-old count: 10/02/90 thru 10/01/09
- Age range for 3-5 year-old count: 10/02/06 thru 10/01/09
- The first SPED07 report generation is slated for Monday, November 19, 2012.
- Do not delay in uploading your SPED participation data to SAIS. Integrity processing is tentatively scheduled for twice per week. Upon completion of each integrity processing, an updated version of the SPED07 report will be generated.
- Reconciliation: Failure to successfully upload special education data into SAIS that is consistent with the count identified in the verification letter will have an impact on PEA Determinations. In order to be considered reconciled, both the 3-21 year-old count as well as the 3-5 year-old count will need to match.
- The deadline to submit complete SPED participation data uploads to SAIS is December 14, 2012.
- The Reconciliation deadline is January 11, 2013. The purpose of this deadline is to ensure any and all corrections to previous SPED participation uploads are submitted for reconciliation of the October 1 SPED count.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.