School Breakfast Program
To emphasize how important School Breakfast is in the state of Arizona, former Governor Jan Brewer has signed a School Breakfast Proclamation which can be found here:
Looking for some new entrée’s to add to your breakfast menu? Check out this great breakfast cookbook with meal pattern crediting from the Idaho Department of Education! School Breakfast Cookbook
- A flyer or brochure home with students in their welcome back packets containing information about the times breakfast is available and the cost (if applicable);
- Flyers or handouts during meet the teacher night and open house nights;
- Electronic materials sent to families via e-mail (inclusion in school e-newsletters or announcements, posted on the school website homepage);
- Reminders on the school marquee sign throughout the year;
- Menus home throughout the year with reminders about the times and locations where breakfast is available.
See Memo CN 04-12 for more information about the outreach requirements related to the School Breakfast Program.
Breakfast After the Bell FAQs
These customizable resources answer those frequently asked questions that School Nutrition Directors and Principals get from parents regarding Breakfast After the Bell. Schools can edit these resources to personalize them according to the specifics of their program.
Breakfast is an important part of a healthy school day, and participation can be increased by implementing an alternative service model, making minor changes to your cafeteria operation, planning exciting events during National School Breakfast Week and participating the Dairy Council of Arizona’s School Breakfast Promotion!
National School Breakfast Week
This year’s theme was Wake Up to School Breakfast, and schools around the state celebrated between February 29 and March 11. Here’s a recap of ADE’s Second Annual Celebrity Celebration.
See below for resources ADE provided to help in planning and promoting other celebrations too. Be sure to check back next year for updated tools!
- The School Nutrition Association has toolkits, graphics, and communication materials.
- SNA develops a social media tip sheet
- ADE developed sample posts for social media to help promote your celebration!
- ADE also developed a celebrity tip sheet if you are planning a Celebrity Celebration.
- ADE National School Breakfast Week Webinar Recording
- ADE National School Breakfast Week Webinar slides (Feb 10th, 2016)
- Celebrity Celebration Re-Cap
In 2015, ADE helped schools Make the Grade with School Breakfast with a short commercial and celebrity celebration
Other resources to help increase participation in school breakfast
- Grab and Go Fact Sheet
- Second Chance Breakfast Fact Sheet
- Breakfast in the Classroom Fact Sheet
- Breakfast after the Bell Success Stories from Secondary School Principals (Courtesy of FRAC).
Breakfast in the Classroom is another alternate service model and ADE has worked in partnership with the Valley of the Sun United Way and the Dairy Council of Arizona to create a Breakfast in the Classroom Toolkit. Click here to download a copy of the toolkit and see the additional resources available to help get you started with BIC.
2018 Champions of Breakfast Awards
ADE and the USDA Food and Nutrition Service, Western Regional Office are pleased to release nomination materials for the 2018 Champions of Breakfast Awards.
These awards recognize the outstanding achievements of School Food Authorities and/or individual schools that impressively administer the National School Breakfast Program (SBP), while providing nutritious meals to children in the Western Region States. The 2018 Champions of Breakfast Award categories for nomination are:
2. Implementation of an Innovative School Breakfast Model
3. Boosting Breakfast Meal Quality
Below are the application materials containing detailed information on the award categories and nomination form.
Please submit all nominations to [email protected] by January 12, 2018.
Arizona had two winners last year! We look forward to your nominations and celebrating your School Breakfast Program achievements.
Grant Funds for School Breakfast
There are several organizations offering grant funds to help with the start-up costs associated with implementing an alternative service model or increasing participation.