AzEDS Answers (FAQ)
Which student information systems work with AzEDS?
The following vendors/organizations offer student information systems (SISs) capable of submitting data to ADE via the AzEDS system.
|SIS Vendor (SIS name)||Website||Sales||Support|
|Arizona Dept. of Juvenile Corrections (AZDJC)||[email protected]||623-869-9050 x 61230|
|HANE Solutions (SchoolDex)||schooldex.com||623-341-6853||[email protected]|
|Infinite Campus (Infinite Campus)||infinitecampus.com||800-850-2335||888-461-2004 Option 2|
|Mesa Distance Learning Program (MDLP)|
|Tyler Technologies (Schoolmaster)||tylertech.com||800-733-0922||888-352-4731|
|MediaNet Solutions (e-IEP PRO)||medianetsol.com||877-879-3564|
Current as of November 2018
School Finance-Related Information
Business (Integrity Rules) are located on the AzEDS Reference page. Each SAIS rule was reviewed and discussed with the appropriate program areas to determine and apply any necessary changes. Updates continue to be made.
Click here for an overview of the AzEDS Integrity Rules Process (published June 2015).
|Spring 2016||Spring Meeting 2016 Q&As||April 2016|
|December 2015||December 2015 Meeting Q&As – General Interest||February 2016|
|December 2015||December 2015 Meeting Q&As – Synergy SIS||February 2016|
|December 2015||December 2015 Meeting Q&As – Infinite Campus SIS||February 2016|
|December 2015||December 2015 Meeting Q&As – PowerSchool SIS||February 2016|
|December 2015||December 2015 Meeting Q&As – Schoolmaster SIS||February 2016|
Data Submission Questions
How Program and Need Setup is Handled in AzEDS
Initially, AzEDS allowed LEAs to submit data for only a subset of programs. Understanding that this process was difficult for districts, the ADE is implementing plans to allow districts to submit all program data. For more information about how programs are handled in AzEDs please refer to this document.
How To Submit Tuitioned-Out, Vouchered, and Head Start Students
How to Submit Needs-Only Students
- Submits a Student School Association using the State Student ID, School ID (where the service is provided), MembershipTypeDescriptorID = “P”, EntryDate = beginning of the service, EntryGradeLevelDescriptorID = Grade Level,EntryTypeDescriptorID = Null, and the appropriate calendar track.
- Submits a Student School Association Tuition Payer using the State Student ID, School ID, EntryDate = beginning of service, PayerStartDate = beginning of service, and TuitionPayerDescriptorID = 2
- Submits a Student Education Organization using the State Student ID, School ID, Start Date of the service, EducationOrganizationID = District of Residence Entity ID and Responsibility Descriptor = 3
- Submits a Student Need
- Submits a Student Special Education Program Association
Vendors have programmed their SIS to comply with the process listed above.
How to Submit Students born Out of the Country, or in US Territories
|Northern Mariana Islands||GM|
|US Virgin Islands||VI|
|US Minor Outlying Islands||UM|
Do not submit UNKNOWN for the birth state, as this will result in an integrity error. NULL is an accepted value for students born outside of the US. An alternative way to submit students born in US territories is to submit the birth state as Null, and the appropriate country code. However, submitting a Null value for the birth state with the country code as US results in an Integrity Error. Refer to the Use Case document for a full listing of state and country codes.
How to Submit STC Data
Military Flag Collection
- Became effective on July 1, 2016
- Ensures compliance with pending requirements under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
- Enables ADE to collect and aggregate data, without pursuing any identifiable information
- Data will be used for performance, status, and comparison purposes (i.e. total K-12 attendance data for all military family students; total numbers of military family students that Arizona College and Career Mathematic standards vs. total numbers of all Arizona K-12 students meeting those same standards, etc.
- Allows school districts/LEAs to track students of military families, if guardians choose to voluntarily submit their military status
How Often to Submit Data
- Weekly submission is recommended. Each LEA sets its own submission schedule, which in turn determines what “near real-time” means for them. ADE recommends that LEAs submit data at least weekly and do so daily, if possible.
- Validate data before submission. In order to reduce submission errors, ADE recommends that LEAs validate data before submitting it. For example, validating that a student is enrolled before that student’s attendance is submitted.
NOTE: ADE does not have insight into the configuration options available in each SIS; LEAs are encouraged to work with their SIS vendors regarding these settings.
How to Submit Discipline
Information on AzSAFE can be found on the Exceptional Student Services website under ESS Annual Data.
What are New FY 2016 ELL Program Codes?
- LEA Responsibility — Use the SAIS Code A (SEI) in place of the new FY 2016 ELL Program Codes:
A4 (SEI 4-Hour Model), A3 (SEI 3-Hour Model), and A2 (SEI 2-Hour Model).
- No Action Required — The data will be copied into the AzEDS database using the new ELL Program Code A4.
- LEA Responsibility — When the LEA switches to the new AzEDS system, they must revise the A4 entries to the appropriate ELL Program Codes A3 or A2 (if applicable), or leave the ELL Program Code as A4.
- LEA Responsibility — Use the SAIS ELL Program Exit Reason Code 3 (Withdrawn by Parent Request) in place of the new FY 2016 ELL Program Code PW (Parent Withdrawn ELL).
- No Action Required — The data will be copied into the AzEDS database using the new ELL Program Code PW.
When using AzEDS:
- No Action Required — New FY 2016 ELL Program Codes: A4 (SEI 4-Hour Model), A3 (SEI 3-Hour Model), and A2 (SEI 2-Hour Model) will be submitted into the AzEDS database accordingly.
- No Action Required — The data will be copied into the SAIS database using the SAIS Code A (SEI).
- No Action Required — New FY 2016 ELL Program Code PW (Parent Withdrawn ELL) will be submitted into the AzEDS database accordingly.
- No Action Required — The data will be copied into the SAIS database using the SAIS ELL Program Exit Reason Code 3 (Withdrawn by Parent Request).
How Does AzEDS Handle Register IDs?
Does the SAIS ID become the State ID?
How is the State Student ID different than the SAIS ID?
- Easier to find existing IDs
- Simplifying the process of creating new IDs
- Reducing the amount of duplicate entries
What Is the Process for Creating a State Student ID?
- The user first checks for an existing identity using either their student information system’s (SIS) built-in search function* or using the AzEDS Identity application in ADEConnect. *When a new student is entered, the SIS checks the AzEDS Identity database to see if that student already has a State Student ID.
- If none of the returned identities matches the student being enrolled, a new identity is created using the SIS.
- A new State Student ID number will automatically be generated.
- Once the student’s enrollment is submitted via SAIS or AzEDS, the State Student ID is permanently recorded.
Tip: If an exact match is not immediate found when searching for student, type in only the first 4-5 letters of their last name and conduct the search again. This will query up a larger list of potential matches.
Does the Staff ID Replace the Stakeholder ID?
The Educator Stakeholder ID is still a separately required ID for Highly-Qualified Teachers. When adding a teacher, this ID can be inputted into the teacher’s data. This ID is independent and cannot be used as a State Staff ID. REST APIs use numbered identification numbers instead of names, so each “identity” is assigned an ID number.